Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Mount Olympus



Mount Olympus is one of the most prominent and recognizable mountains viewable from practically every location in the Salt Lake Valley. Its not the tallest peak along the Wasatch front, but along with Mt. Timpanogus, Mt. Ogden, and Mt. Nebo its one of the most recognizable. One distinctive feature of the mountain are its twin peaks, and other outcroppings, the highest of which is called "Summit Peak" which towers above the valley to an elevation of 9,026 feet (about 4,800 feet above the valley floor).



Today I took the day off work and climbed to the top of summit peak with my friend Scott. Although the angle of the picture above is slightly deceiving, I'm actually standing on top of the the mountain, and pretty darn proud of myself as you can see.


Because its close proximity, visibility, and accessibility to our city Mount Olympus is a popular hiking destination. I've looked at it for years and wanted to stand on top. I vowed to do it before my 40th birthday. One down on many of the goals I have for the coming year.



We reached the summit via the Mount Olympus Trail, which is a VERY steep rocky climb (including a moderately difficult summit scramble) from the mountain base and stretches approximately 3.1 miles to the summit. Here we are looking up at the last bit of "trail" before the scramble (unassisted climb/no ropes) to the summit.

As I crested the top of the summit after a long scrambling pitch I let out a famous Ward "WOOOOOHOOOOOO!" and quickly noticed another climber sitting alone just a few feet from my ankles. "Sorry" I said. To which he replied, "I think that climb is worth a 'woo-who'". True that!

The views from the top were stunning.




The mountain was amazingly green with abundant flora and fauna. Plants were thriving thanks to the wet spring and hot summer we're experiencing. We passed through multiple plant zones: sage brush, sumac, mountain mahogany, mountain laurel (pictured), cottonwood, aspen, spruce/fir, and finally sub alpine scree.


and saw some incredible "living bonsai" plants. Pictured below is a juniperus osteosperma (aka Utah Juniper, which I've written about before in a blog about Arches and Moab).


Above all, the journey for me was about friendship, adventure and the miracle of nature. A truly wonderful day in the life of Charlie.

4 comments:

Crystal said...

Great pictures and a great commentary about your hike. Congrats!

Dan Ward said...

Charlie,
I too share your desire to hike that mountain. I tried to hike it once but the girl I was dating was a worthless hiker (definitely not Crystal) and we didn't make it. I feel like it has been taunting me for years. Every time I am out there I get the urge to just climb it and drop whatever else is going on. I will have to set the same goal. Get it before I'm 40!!

Thanks for the post. I loved the pictures.

David said...

Looks like a great hike. Nothing like getting to the top of a Mountain to make you feel alive. Looks like you are in good shape. I am glad to know some one will be there to carry me across the line at the Spud.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Let me know the next time you plan to go and I drive the car :-). Great pictures and commentary. I feel like I was there ... come to think of it I've already made it to the top .......... vicariously!